Thursday, January 18, 2007

Christening the Accommodating Chef

The other night, we had some friends over for dinner. He is a big meat and potatoes Mid-West guy. She is a native Oregonian and hard-core vegetarian. What to eat?

I marinated lamb LOIN chops (not regular chops; loin is more tender) in olive oil, fennel seed and cumin for two hours.

In the meantime, I put this together. Although we have been unable to locate fenugreek anywhere, it came out alright. I undercooked the lentils a bit, but it ended up working out perfectly, since I started it too early. It's a stew, so it's not supposed to sit around simmering for an hour, unlike other lentil soup recipe we like. One word of advice: I feel that I should have prepped the ingredients for every stage before I dove in; it's kind of hard to grate two tablespoonfuls of fresh ginger when the onions are beyond caramelized. I usually do it as I go, but that didn't work out so well this time. That's what those miniature bowls in the mixing set are for, I guess.

While the stew was heating through one last time, I shaved three medium-sized carrots into strips, and then we scraped the fennel seeds off the lamb and heated olive oil in a cast iron skillet medium high. We seared the chops, one-two minutes per side, and then transferred them to a baking sheet in a 350 oven.

I dumped a 15 ounce drained can of garbanzo beans into a pan, on medium, stirred them around for a few minutes and then added the carrot strips, stirred around a few more times and put them in a serving dish. (This is supposed to the bed which the chops are served on, but I've found that vegetarians are "no-touch" when it comes to meat and their food.)

Dish up the lamb chops, garbanzo beans/carrots on the side, with an entree of lentil stew for the veggie-girl, and Bon Appetit.

A big hit all around, with madeleines and ginger tea for dessert.

No comments: