Saturday, January 27, 2007

Link "repair"

Much to my disappointment, the Post Punk Kitchen's website is down (looks like a domain-expiration thing) and all my links to them are consequently irrelevant. Because of this, I am posting in its entirety the recipe I linked to in my first post. I mentioned earlier that I was having difficulty finding one of the ingredients, fenugreek, and my mother has sent me some, and so I re-made it last night, and let me tell you, that fenugreek makes a HUGE difference! Gives it quite a kick...

Ethiopian Spicy Tomato Lentil Stew

Boil 1 cup brown lentils for 45 minutes, or until tender. (I have used green lentils, with no disastrous results.)
Prep: Dice 1 large yellow onion and peel and dice 2 carrots. Grate two tablespoons of fresh ginger, and mince 4 cloves of garlic. Mix together: 2 tsps ground cumin, 1 tsp ground fenugreek (I ground mine in the blender), 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 1/4 tsp ground cardamom, 1/2 tsp ground coriander, 1/8 tsp ground all-spice, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, and 1/2 tsp salt. Open and measure out 1/2 c tomato paste, measure out 1 cup vegetable stock, and quarter four large tomatoes (or halve eight cherry/plum tomatoes).

In a large pot, over medium heat, saute the onion and carrots. Add the garlic, ginger and spices. Saute 5 more minutes.

Add tomato paste and mix, add vegetable stock and tomato pieces and simmer until bubbling. Add the cooked lentils and 1 cup frozen peas, simmer 15 more minutes.

This takes me a little less than an hour to make. The peas may sound optional, but without them, this stew looks...um, well, it looks unappetizing, and if you have small children, they will fill in the details for you! ;)
We think this is the perfect lunch AND dinner for a Friday in the wintertime! Very warming and filling.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Sephora said...

Ummm... Mom? I need some fenugreek, too!